I have high school ID students who are non verbal. I inherited several IEP where I am supporting the goal that states student will communicate their wants and needs. Of course the teacher has indicated No Progression the progress report. This is such a broad goal. I’ve tried gaining joint attention, sabotaging and they just ignore and start self-stimulating. Teachers are looking to the SLP to fix this…wow. I do believe in providing how-to steps. Please help!
If Student is Not Making Progress…
- IEP needs to be held to either revise goal or revise services to meet the goal.
- In this case, the goal is not appropriate and is too vague to measure progress on.
- You need to revise the goal during an IEP meeting, but this can be a limited revision meeting that you hold with the parents by phone.
- Child will maintain gaze at a joint object/activity for at least 10 seconds
- Child will independently come within # feet of the therapist to indicate he wants something from her
- Child will point at or look at an object when giving two choices and asked which one he wants
- Child will look where directed when prompted with “look at this”
- Child will indicate a desire for something by reaching for it
- Child will tolerate hand-over-hand assistance to activate a switch to request something
- Child will activate a single switch/button to request something with one verbal prompt as needed
- Child will choose from two objects and activate the corresponding switch/button to request
- Child will respond to greetings by looking at the person who greeted him
- Child will shake his head “no” to protest