LISA: Tag Lin Sleboda
Best way to teach play skills: Through Imitation
If the child won’t imitate you…
- Try hand-over-hand with reinforcement (have to figure out what motivates the child)
- Try bringing in other children to provide models to see if he’s more interested in that
- Model with puppets or dolls to see if he’s more interested in that
- Bring in toys that are particular to his area of interest and model using those. Only allow the child to use them if he imitates your play.
- Make your play look really fun
Still won’t imitate you?
Is this skill a priority? May need to work on functional communication to get some joint attention and to get the child interested in the world around him